
Being one of the 4 emcess for my company function was an absolute honor. There were only 2 emcees last year, this year there were 4, lets welcome me and my co-emceee aka my so-called contract clerk *wink*

I was wearing a green baju kurung initially but my manager after seeing 3 other emcess dressed in red/pink, said this to me.
Manager whispered: Agnes, you should have worn something of the same color.I realized it too actually that green would make me looked very
outstanding odd. But no fret, I had brought along a spare baju kurung with me and it was pinkish. Thanks for making me part of the emcee association. I still wanted green!!! :(
We had our rehearsal early in the morning in Tiara ballroom. Deco was fine, balloons were plentiful, only if the ballroom is more spacious and brighter, the venue would be perfect. Well, that shouldn’t be my concern at all afterall, coz it had got nothing to do with my task man :)
VIPs aka Cubic’s managing director, managers from various departments arrived at 10am. Then the ceremony kicked off. The speech was in bahasa. No big deal, bring it on, it’s never foreign to me. Opening speech was not given by me and my co-emcee though. Then, lunch was served. Being a committee didn’t give us the ‘privilege’ to eat in peace, especially the emcees. We gotta be fully alert coz we wouldn’t want to be laughing stock to others in case our mouths were still filled with food when it’s our turn to take the mic man. Well, we took turns to introduce the programmes, so that was why we had to make sure we swallowed our food in time hahaha. Actually it din bother me that much, I took my time and enjoyed the food. Seated beside me was one of the committee aunty from my dept, she asked me: “Wah you can still eat oh?” I smiled at her, thinking: “Why not?”
Standing behind the rostrum and the mic, the room then turned silent, and everybody started to look at your direction getting ready to hear you speak, and then you deliver your speech, making sure you execute it in a pro manner. Oh wow, what a great feeling that was!
Performances such as traditional dance, modern dance and karaoke singing were good. The event ended around 1pm. And after some crazy photo taking, we gotta get back to work...duh!! Everyone of us was so not in the mood for work that second half of the day man. We took those helium balloons back to the office and the entire dept looked like as if we have juz held a party in there or smth hehehe.
My manager met the event’s person in charge (from my dept of coz) to have a post-discussion on the function I guess, and this PIC told me and my supervisor...
PIC: Mr Young seems to notice Agnes only, he said to our manager the Chinese emcee from personnel management very good and confirmed again if her name is Agnes, but he never said anything about the other Chinese emcee gal.Mr Young is my manager’s boss, Cubic second-big boss.I wonder my manager got kembang or not coz her boss actually praised her staff. If I said I’m not flattered, I’m lying la. Come on, the compliment came from my manager’s boss sial. 3 tingkat above of me man. Woohoo!! Yes, I should feel happy for my own performance but I know that I’m afterall, still a 8 month old worker, I have much to learn and improve :-)
During lunch the next day, one of my colleagues who kept commenting on my speech during rehearsal started to share my pride with a few others. During rehearsal, she was like “agnes, this part should be louder, that part must this must that”. I was kinda pissed actually. I do appreciate her comments and I will accept constructive criticism but she melebih-lebih already la. My co-emcee feels the same way too. She said to me that I should do it my way and dun nid to bother her so much.
And now??
Her: Agnes, you should feel proud u know…Mr young puji you…bla bla bla.. (turned to another collague) Eh I ask you, how long you work adi? 3 years? See, mr young also never puji you b4 rite?” So you see agnes, you should be feel proud. Luckily there is smth good from our dept to cover some other things that never go well, at least you made us proud. Nevermind, next year we(referring to her and other collegues) will kena puji pulak from our biggest boss. Eh mr young likes you man, wah now we have another affair, and agnes will be transferred to another dept adi hahaha, Company Affair..hahaha.Wahlao…budak ni…cakap sudah melampaui batas man…Me: Actually whose suggestion was that? To make me one of the emcees?
Her: I think is Mr young la, coz during the planning, our manager mentioned his name, so I think he suggested you
Me: Kenot be, I never liaise anything with him b4, he doesn’t know me also..
Her: Your system presentation that time?
Me: He didn’t attend la
Her: Then maybe someone else told him about you gua..
Me: Dunno, maybe. *thinking…whatever la*
From the way she spoke, I sensed a lil bit of….hmmm….hope I’m wrong. Susahnya, but I guess that’s how things are in the working world.